Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Black Eyed Susan




Black Eyed Susan
12 x 12
.75 depth
Watercolor on
Archival Watercolor Canvas
Artist
Teresa Beyer

I have been experimenting with various substrates, trying to find a canvas that I can paint on using watercolors and totally avoid the framing. So I came across this little gem the other day and ordered a few. What I learned with this piece is that I need to wet the canvas before painting. There seems to be a gesso on it, a gesso that was formulated for water based paints - it still needed to be wet before applying pigment.

I had a great time painting this piece! Besides learning how a new canvas reacts, I also learned that on a painting like this I dont necessarily want to sign the piece in a corner. This piece can be hung on any side or corner. Who am I to determine the top?

No comments:

Post a Comment