Wednesday, March 24, 2010


This is my third tulip study in the past month or so. I masked of the perimeter with archival artist masking tape, creating a boarder. When I was applied the back wash (the purple background) some of the water leaked in through the tape. Lesson here - I wont work so wet, and I will check to make sure the tape is well stuck.

The first thing I did was apply the tape. I then did the drawing and applied a resist to the area's that I wanted to remain white. In watercolor the white of the paper is used as the white. The resist takes a couple of hours to dry. I then went in and painted the flower petals. And making a point keep the translucence of the flower. I did not want to use the green until the yellow of the painting had been completed.

Over all I am very satisfied with this painting. And probably when I see it tomorrow I will absolutely love it.

Happy Painting,

No comments:

Post a Comment